Sunday 31 August 2008

You Don't Mess With The Zohan

You Don't Mess With The Zohan (henceforth simply 'Zohan' or 'YDMWTZ) as I really couldn't be arsed writing that every time) has been getting mixed reviews, and I'm really trying not to be swayed one way or another. I like to think that I am honest in what I say to you and that if you were actually foolish enough to take my word for something then I would have to stand by it.

So here's my honest review of Zohan...

I loved it.

Most modern comedies seem to need a seen with either semen, vomit, or some other bodily excretion in order to provide you with humour and it is nice to see a comedy that shoots for the plain ludicrous.

Adam Sandler's movies can be very hit and miss but there has always been an undertone of genuine comedic genius to his work and it is nice to see a movie that largely lived up to his potential.

Zohan brings humour to a situation that has defied solution for centuries and really does try to lighten things up, and really, if people had a better sense of humour then most of the world wouldn't be in the trouble it is in. Yes, feel free to attack me for that seemingly flippant remark "Yes thousands are dying in ethnic cleansing but we should all just sit back and have a giggle". I don't mean it like that and you should be ashamed of yourself for not giving me more credit. What I meant was that if people had a better sense of humour and a bit more understanding then most of the silly tit for tat problems in the world would never escalate to anything larger.

Anyway, Zohan is a lighthearted comedy with big laughs (though if I'm being honest you could only ever watch it once or twice) that can perfectly pass a quiet evening.

Emmanuelle Chriqui (pronounced 'Shreeky') is amusing as Zohan's Palestinian employer who does not realize that Zohan is in fact Israel's top Mossad agent (and like any balanced individual does not care about the conflict and just wishes people could try to forgive and move on).

I don't want this review to sound like a political statement so I'll balance it all out by saying that if you are really the maladjusted niggler awaiting the slightest opportunity to be offended then you are really going to be offended when I tell you that you may as well spam my inbox with hate mail now or come to my house and wee through the letterbox you brain-dead fucking retard.

Zohan will amuse you, it's a comedy, it's not going to redefine the genre but it certainly won't bore you.

Rating: B

No comments: