Monday 4 August 2008

The X Files: I Want To Believe

The X Files IWTB is a difficult film to rate. From the outset it is clear that this is a movie made for the fans, instant points right there, and doesn't involve an alien conspiracy, more points.

My problem is that I am a person who hasn't really seen The X Files since sometime roundabout when the T-1000 became a regular cast member. A result of this is that I sometimes found myself struggling to keep up with the implied back story.

For instance Mulder and Scully are no longer in the FBI, and apparently Scully has finally saw the charm of Mulder's cardboard exterior and they are an item now (though amusingly Mulder still refers to her as Scully rather than Dana).

Oh, and they lost a son at some point..? That wasn't me giving away plot or character development, its a little statement that comes so far off-the-cuff as to imply that anyone who doesn't know this has a case of the terminal stupids. It's a thing for the fans.

Lets talk movie talk.

The X Files: I Want To Believe is a decent serial killer hunt with a supporting cast of a psychic Scottish comedian and a black gangsta' rapper FBI agent kickin' it wit da poh-leese and knockin' down doors to bust a cap in some punk fool's ass. I'm being harsh, but only because I think that anybody who actually talks and acts like that really needs to go back to school and pay attention.

Xzibit actually isn't bad, in fact I would go so far as to say that he is good. Billy Connolly was less believable, but then I find it hard to take him seriously when I can't look at him without hearing his crucifixion skit. Even in that big gunfight in The Boondock Saints all I can hear is "Yah see you Judas, you're gettin' on mah tits."

I like the serial killer thing, its a nice return to form for the franchise, especially when the 'X' side of the story starts to come through. The story is tense and the scenes are all well shot, the music is atmospheric and broody.

Like the previous movie Skinner is almost completely superfluous to the story, slightly less so this time around but the part could easily have been played by Xzibit or one of the dozen or so FBI extras hanging around and trying not to look at the camera.

Biggest complaint is that Mulder should have kept the beard or David Duchovny should have went on a diet.

Rating: C (If you are a longtime fan of the series then feel free to change that to a B, I won't begrudge you it)

No comments: